The shipping company, now in its seventh generation is managed by Peter Lindenau with its headquarters at St. Pauli Landungsbrücken, Hamburg. Petersen & Alpers owns a fleet of five modern, fully-serviced and maintained tugboats with a bollard pull of 30 to 80 tonnes. Two tugs are employed in Hamburg on the river Elbe. Three additional tugs are operated by TOWMAR BALTIC in the port of Klaipeda, Lithuania. More than 20 employees work at P & A today. The shipping company offers a 24 hour service with an excellent level of service and very flexible and short call-out times
Petersen & Alpers shipping company is the oldest family-owned and run service enterprise in the port of Hamburg. The history of the company can be traced back to the 6th of September 1793, when Michael Christian Petersen took the citizen’s oath as a Master Mariner. In 1818, his son Johann Michael led the company into its next generation and working together with Andreas Heinrich Alpers, he made an impact in the port of Hamburg. Then in its third generation, Jan Petersen founded the offices of Petersen & Alpers in 1859 which he entered into the commercial register in 1877. Jan Petersen ordered the shipping company’s first own tugboat in 1879 - the "Petersen & Alpers" with 170 HP.